Bachelors Degree in Nursing
This programme is offered as a collaboration with the University of the West Indies and Excelsior Community College. The professional practice of nursing at a beginner’s level is the objective of the BScN (generic) programme. It is designed to inculcate interpersonal effectiveness, attitudes, ethical concepts, critical thinking, clinical judgment, and decision-making as a basis for evidence based nursing care consistent with best practices in the 21st century.
Candidates successfully completing this BScN programme will be eligible to apply to the Nursing Council of Jamaica for the designation Registered General Nurse (RGN) Each Applicant must pass the Regional Examination for Nurses Registration(RENR) in order to be entered on the register for general nurses in Jamaica, use the designation ‘Registered General Nurse’ (RGN) and be eligible to practice as a RGN in Jamaica or any CARICOM country.
Application forms are available at the Student Affairs Office main campus, and at any of the other campuses. Completed application forms along with other stated requirements attached are to be submitted the Senior Assistant Registrar, Admissions Office, Excelsior Community College.
Academic Qualifications for Entry
2 CAPE Unit II subjects -one from Mathematics or Statistics, Physics or Biology; in addition to one (1) other subject.
Five (5) CXC/CSEC or GCE subjects
These five subjects must include the following subjects :
- English Language
- Mathematics or Physics or Statistics
- Human & Social Biology or Integrated Science
- Two other subjects from Agricultural Science, Geography, Caribbean History, a Modern Language, Social Studies, Religious Education, Food & Nutrition, Home Economic Management, Principles of Accounts, Principles of Business, English Literature, Information Technology, Chemistry, Physics, Economics, Psychology and Business Studies.
Three (3) or more subjects must be at Grades I or II (CXC/CSEC) or Grade A or B (GCE).
- Applicants must be at least 17 years of age at the time of admission to the programme.
- Provide curriculum vitae.
- Provide three (3) letters of recommendation.
- Provide transcript of secondary or tertiary education.
- Sit the University of the West Indies English Language Proficiency test, unless they are persons exempted from this requirement under the regulations of the English Language requirement.