Bachelors Degree in Nursing
This programme is offered as a collaboration with the University of the West Indies and Excelsior Community College. The professional practice of nursing at a beginner’s level is the objective of the BScN (generic) programme. It is designed to inculcate interpersonal effectiveness, attitudes, ethical concepts, critical thinking, clinical judgment, and decision-making as a basis for evidence based nursing care consistent with best practices in the 21st century.
Candidates successfully completing this BScN programme will be eligible to apply to the Nursing Council of Jamaica for the designation Registered General Nurse (RGN) Each Applicant must pass the Regional Examination for Nurses Registration(RENR) in order to be entered on the register for general nurses in Jamaica, use the designation ‘Registered General Nurse’ (RGN) and be eligible to practice as a RGN in Jamaica or any CARICOM country.
Application forms are available at the Student Affairs Office main campus, and at any of the other campuses. Completed application forms along with other stated requirements attached are to be submitted to the Senior Assistant Registrar, Admissions Office, Excelsior Community College.
Academic Qualifications for Entry
2 CAPE subjects units I & II -one from Mathematics or Statistics, Physics or Biology; in addition to one (1) other subject.
Five (5) CXC/CSEC or GCE subjects
These five subjects must include the following subjects :
- English Language
- Human & Social Biology or Biology
- Two other subjects from Agricultural Science, Geography, Caribbean History, a Modern Language, Social Studies, Religious Education, Food & Nutrition, Home Economic Management, Principles of Accounts, Principles of Business, English Literature, Information Technology, Chemistry, Physics, Economics, Psychology and Business Studies.
Three (3) or more subjects must be at Grades I or II (CXC/CSEC) or Grade A or B (GCE).
- Applicants must be at least 17 years of age at the time of admission to the programme.
- Provide curriculum vitae.
- Provide two (2) letters of recommendation.
- NB: One MUST be from the last school you attended, the other should be from your current employer, a senior member of the police force or a Minister of Religion.
- Three (3) passport size photographs. All pictures MUST be the same.
- Three (3) copies Birth Certificate, Deed Poll document, Marriage certificate (if applicable)
- Three (3) copies of academic certificates (CXC, GCE, CAPE)
- Three (3) copies of TRN
- In addition to the EXED application form, applicants should apply to the University of the West Indies online. The website address is www.uwimona.edu.jm. Please ensure that all documents are uploaded and scanned to the University of the West Indies. Applicants must ensure that they indicate EXCELSIOR COMMUNITY COLLEGE as the TLI Campus.
- Submit printed confirmation letter from UWI from your email along with the completed Excelsior application form to Excelsior Community College.
- An intake interview will be conducted at an arranged date
- A Transcript should be provided if the applicant does not have a certified preliminary slip. This should be mailed to:
The Director of School of Nursing
Excelsior Community College
137 Mountain View Avenue
- N.B. All original documents must be seen by the individual accepting your application.
- Provide transcript of secondary or tertiary education.
- Sit the University of the West Indies English Language Proficiency test, unless they are persons exempted from this requirement under the regulations of the English Language requirement.